Kayak wheels

If it doesn't go there, it goes here....

Kayak wheels

Postby John239 on March 13th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Hi all, looks dead here unfortunately but I thought I’d try to get some input anyways. I need a kayak cart to be able to fish some new spots I’ve been looking at, it’s about a mile or so walk on the sand. Some other spots I’ve been looking at are up to two miles and three miles walking distance. Was wondering if anyone knew about what sort of wheels would be best for traveling over sand, and if the plug-in wheels are best. I really don’t bring all that much heavy stuff with me, heaviest equipment I have is just my cast net and the bigger shark reels. The kayak itself is only about 60 lbs and 10.5’ long. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. (Romans 15:13)
John239

Re: Kayak wheels

Postby allspeciesanglin on March 14th, 2019, 9:58 am

I built a plug in style cart out of PVC and cheap tires from harbor freight. I super glued the PVC together thinking it would hold, it didn't. If you use PVC I'd recommend using PVC cement to attach it. It exploded half way through the trip and I was back to carrying the yak.
"Some people need a sympathetic pat on the head...

...with a hammer."
allspeciesanglin

Re: Kayak wheels

Postby SB13 on March 18th, 2019, 2:23 pm

I have both the small and large carts by Wheeleez. Bought the small for my kayak and immediately wished I had the large. Found a great deal on a large on Craigslist and couldn't be happier. The small works great with my son's 10" Vibe. The large works great with my Cobra Fish-n-Dive and my Big Tuna. I really like that these carts can be placed anywhere along the length of the kayak to allow for the perfect balance. I've found that in some situations, pushing it with the cart right at the balance point works really well. All in all I have no complaints with them. Had I followed the suggested weight limits and bought the large to begin would have been a good idea. Longest distance I've needed it for was in the 1/2 mile range.
SB13

Return to Sharks on the Sand - Main Forum