12-6 & 12-7 [Father Son Fish MASSACRE!]

Surf fishing reports go here....

12-6 & 12-7 [Father Son Fish MASSACRE!]

Postby ThaFish on December 8th, 2017, 2:27 pm

The Report:

First, a little backstory for you guys...

My dad has always enjoyed fishing, but he doesn't make time to do it very often. Him & I haven't fished together in several years. My dad's cousin, Jeff, is extremely passionate about fishing. Unfortunately, he is somewhat limited in his ability to fish during some times of the day & in certain conditions, due to his Parkinson's. He & I fish together whenever we get the chance.

While the three of us all enjoy being on the water & are all close with one another, we have never been able to get a trip planned together. So, for my dad's birthday this year, I decided to plan a fishing marathon of sorts for the three of us.

Man, I sure know how to plan a trip. I guess the weather is something I should have checked before putting this fishing adventure together. When the two of them arrived on Wednesday afternoon, it was 40 degrees, raining, & the wind was ripping at over 20MPH. & lucky for us, it looked like it was only going to get worse as the night went on.

Part of my plan for our trip was to start off with a meal of fresh fish, so I had hit Sykes on Wednesday morning to search for some groceries. Thankfully, I found success at the bridge. So before getting rigged up (& also bundled up) & heading out to the spot to freeze, I made a dinner of fresh black drum with jambalaya & Italian sausage for us.

Armed with warm clothes & full stomachs, we headed to the spot. Almost immediately upon our arrival, the rain began to pick up. A bit dismayed, I explained to the two of them what the plan for targeting these fish was, grabbed a rod, & made my way over to our area of choice to begin scanning the water for a big ugly.

It didn't take five minutes before I had spotted one that was willing to cooperate. I let her eat, watched her swim off for about ten seconds, tightened the drag down, passed the rod off, & just like that, my dad was ON!

After 12-15 minutes of nothing but smiles & laughter from my dad, I was finally able to scoop up his fish in the net. High fives all around! We taped the fish at 41.5'' & weighed her at a hair over 36 pounds - a new personal record fish for my dad! I grabbed a few awesome photos of him & then we sent the fish on her way.

Now it was Jeff's turn. Fast forward through ten minutes of frustration (pitching at drum that were uninterested in my offerings) & I finally found another one that wanted to play tug-of-war. I hooked the fish & passed the rod off once again, this time to Jeff. He couldn't believe the first run that this fish screamed off on. We knew right off the bat that this fish was definitely larger than the first. It was truly awesome seeing him smiling ear to ear throughout the entire battle, & it was even more awesome seeing his face light up as we put the measuring tape & the scale to his monster catch.

After safely releasing Jeff's fish, we unanimously agreed that the only way this trip could be any more perfect would be for me to land a crab-crushing cruiser as well.

Unfortunately, I pulled the hook on the first fish I hooked, but I quickly found another contender. On this drum, I took my time instead of jumping the gun on putting drag on the fish. A couple of minutes later & I was ON!

Half-soaked, exhausted, & a bit chilly, we decided to quit while we were ahead & make the trip home so that we could watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation & grab some shuteye before heading out in the boat in the AM.

We woke up to, yep, MORE terrible weather. But some reminiscing about the drum trip, a bit of breakfast, & a few cups of hot coffee later, we were ready to go find some more fish. My plan for us for this part of our fishing marathon was to go flip rocks & catch a coffee can full of mud crabs, get the two of them on their first convicts, & then go find a couple of specks before the first of several bad storm front moved in. CHECK, CHECK, CHECK! Rough water & crazy north winds didn't stop us from making our mission a success. We had an awesome time on the water & made it back to the ramp just as the rain started falling down in sheets.

I couldn't be happier with how this trip turned out for us. It felt so awesome to be able to spend some quality time on the water with both my dad & Jeff, & it was incredibly fulfilling to be able to get the two of them on some fish that I know they will never forget (& neither will I). I hope you guys enjoyed reading this report almost as much as my dad enjoyed his birthday fishing adventure.

Tally for the Trips:

My Dad: His first speckled trout, a couple short sheeps, a couple solid keeper sheeps, & a 41.5'' 36 lb. black drum (all personal records for him!)
Dad's Cousin: A couple sheeps & a 43.5'' 43 lb. black drum (all personal records for him!)
Me: Several sheeps, a short speck, & a 41.5'' 37 lb. black drum (new personal record drum)

Tight lines everyone.
ThaFish

Re: 12-6 & 12-7 [Father Son Fish MASSACRE!]

Postby elwinsharp on December 16th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Super write up and trip. It's a great feeling to do for others. You will be rewarded many times over, but it sounds like you already got out of it what you wanted. Thanks for the report.
elwinsharp

Postby GreatWhiteHunter on December 19th, 2017, 12:08 am

Good Times. Nothing like building great memories.
GreatWhiteHunter

Postby TheFangman on March 27th, 2018, 11:59 pm

Awesome report. Great to hear about getting together with family and landing some fish. Nothing beats watching someone else smile when catching a good fish.
TheFangman

Return to Surf, Pier, Jetty, Bay, & Kayak Fishing Reports & Talk