Spooling a reel"panhandle style"

Spooling a reel"panhandle style"

Postby Bob Keyes on May 21st, 2012, 4:20 pm

Back in the 70s it was time to put new line on the 16/0, dacron line would weaken from sun and the green and white line I had was smack candy. I was in P'cola and Mac's was in C.C.Tx. I asked Elmo where I could buy more dacron there his reply, " stuff costs way to much" so we proceded to spool my reel "Panhandle Style".

No I am NOT kidding
We went to the hardware store and bought a dozen rolls of 150# nylon seine cord, yep thats right that white stuff that looks like tiny rope. Once we got back to Elmo's place we sat down and started to pull it off the spools and roll it into balls. We then dropped them into a 5 gallon bucket with a 50/50 mix of dark green Rit liquid dye and water and left it soak for about a week. Spooling was intresting too Elmo had a pair of racks with old mig wire spools that we used as pullys we would run the line back and forth across the lot and onto the reel this did 2 things tightened the line so it would pack well on the reel and let it dry. When we ran out of one ball we tied the next one on with a blood knot, Filling a 16/0 cost about $20 not a bad price.

Fishing a "Panhandle Style" reel
Yes I know the first thing everyone is going to say is " Bob, Doesn't nylon strech?" Yep, sure does, a lot! Mono is more solid than braid in compairison! When you get a run you harness up and wait, AND WAIT, AND WAIT SOME MORE then the rod tip starts to pull down and you would do a "running man" hookset. When I think about it now this would be killer for a mousetrap setup, it would probably slingshot a 4" blacktip right onto the beach and rip the jaws slap out of a sharpnose!

Why is the scotch gone.......why is the scotch ALWAYS gone?

Bob
Bob Keyes Posts: 134Joined: May 11th, 2011, 10:41 am

Bob
Bob Keyes

Re: Spooling a reel"panhandle style"

Postby Bunnlevel Sharker on May 21st, 2012, 7:34 pm

lol that is awesome if i ever get a big reel like a 14 or 16/0 i want to try that :D

Grayson Lanier
Bunnlevel Sharker

Postby GreatWhiteHunter on June 6th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Awesome, so basically you have eliminated the need for a sliding trace. Now that is old school, and actually if it works why change it. How many sharks did you catch off that setup. Thanks for the Post.
GreatWhiteHunter

Postby SCFirefighter on June 13th, 2012, 7:21 am

I have seen this done in Beaufort by an old gulla fella. Caught some nice fish and always made be want to try it. I just see a cartoon like snap back on the shark with full Disney sound effects*boooooiiinnngggg* lol
SCFirefighter

Postby itrap on June 25th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Similar to the way we used to catfish several years back. All but the rod tip bending part. These old homemade rods had very little give to them.

itrap

Postby SCFirefighter on June 26th, 2012, 6:15 am

Just goes to show you that if there is a will there is a way. Spend 1200 on a new rod and reel, and some guy will whoop you on a 209 and a broom stick lol. I must say I have caught more fish on a cane pole as a kid than anything !
SCFirefighter

Postby Outta Bait on April 15th, 2014, 8:42 am

Bob Keyes wrote:Back in the 70s it was time to put new line on the 16/0, dacron line would weaken from sun and the green and white line I had was smack candy. I was in P'cola and Mac's was in C.C.Tx. I asked Elmo where I could buy more dacron there his reply, " stuff costs way to much" so we proceded to spool my reel "Panhandle Style".

No I am NOT kidding
We went to the hardware store and bought a dozen rolls of 150# nylon seine cord, yep thats right that white stuff that looks like tiny rope. Once we got back to Elmo's place we sat down and started to pull it off the spools and roll it into balls. We then dropped them into a 5 gallon bucket with a 50/50 mix of dark green Rit liquid dye and water and left it soak for about a week. Spooling was intresting too Elmo had a pair of racks with old mig wire spools that we used as pullys we would run the line back and forth across the lot and onto the reel this did 2 things tightened the line so it would pack well on the reel and let it dry. When we ran out of one ball we tied the next one on with a blood knot, Filling a 16/0 cost about $20 not a bad price.

Yes I know the first thing everyone is going to say is " Bob, Doesn't nylon strech?" Yep, sure does, a lot! Mono is more solid than braid in compairison! When you get a run you harness up and wait, AND WAIT, AND WAIT SOME MORE then the rod tip starts to pull down and you would do a "running man" hookset. When I think about it now this would be killer for a mousetrap setup, it would probably slingshot a 4" blacktip right onto the beach and rip the jaws slap out of a sharpnose!

Bob

I was wondering how the knots held up , and if you ever tried splicing the line ? I love your stories .
Outta Bait

Postby allspeciesanglin on July 2nd, 2016, 7:00 am

How many sharks could you catch before changing it.
"Some people need a sympathetic pat on the head...

...with a hammer."
allspeciesanglin

Postby Bob Keyes on July 2nd, 2016, 11:53 am

Outta Bait wrote:
Bob Keyes wrote:Back in the 70s it was time to put new line on the 16/0, dacron line would weaken from sun and the green and white line I had was smack candy. I was in P'cola and Mac's was in C.C.Tx. I asked Elmo where I could buy more dacron there his reply, " stuff costs way to much" so we proceded to spool my reel "Panhandle Style".

No I am NOT kidding

Bob

I was wondering how the knots held up , and if you ever tried splicing the line ? I love your stories .

Knots held real well when you pulled them very tight. Splicing 1/2" nylon rope is pain in the butt, imagine trying to splice rope less than 1/16" NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!

Bob
Bob Keyes

Postby Bob Keyes on July 2nd, 2016, 12:00 pm

allspeciesanglin wrote:How many sharks could you catch before changing it.

We would change it once a year during the winter "down time" . How many sharks before a change? Our success rate was as good or a little bit better than it is now on the FL panhandle. Often a "change was more a "top off" after a cut line just like we do with a topshot.

Bob
Bob Keyes

Return to History of Land Based Shark Fishing