12-3 [Frigid Wintertime Fishing = SUCCESS!]

Reports from your shark fishing trip go here....

12-3 [Frigid Wintertime Fishing = SUCCESS!]

Postby ThaFish on December 5th, 2017, 4:14 pm

The Report:

My good buddy Nathan, AKA the REAL Mogan Man, & I decided to hit the beach this past Sunday night to search for a drag screamer. The forecast looked excellent up until about midnight, at which point the wind was projected to rise rapidly from 2-5MPH up into the 14-18MPH range. Our plan was to get out there, get set up, & get our baits ran before the wind & surf got too nasty. I wish I could say this plan turned out to be as successful as our trip did, but unfortunately that was not the case.

We got a late start & weren't able to start running our baits until about 11:30. Nathan opted to run his three rods first, & as I stood next to each of his rods with the flashlight, I was able to watch the surf grow from almost flat with a long wave period, to nearly 2' chop with only a few second wave period. He rolled the yak coming back in after all three of his runs, so I can't say that I was excited to run mine. I sucked it up & paddled as fast as I could for each of my three bait runs, & before I knew I was back on the beach with warm, dry clothes on, enjoying a cold brew.

Fast forward about an hour, & I was completely passed out. I was interrupted about 30 minutes into my slumber by Nathan screaming at me that I had a run going on the rod farthest from our site. Dazed & confused, I sat there for a few seconds, listening to the clicker on my Daiwa 900H singing. By the time I had realized what was going on & made my way to the rod, the fish had ditched the bait. I stood there for a few minutes, but it was to no avail. No trouble, that means I get to go back to sleep....

Fast forward another hour, & I was awoken once again. Dammit Nathan, what's your deal? Can't you just let your bud catch a few hours of good shut-eye? This time I was really confused, as I woke up thinking that I was at my house. Nathan was yelling some gibberish at me (something to the tune of, "DUDE, I'M HOOKED UP ON THE 14/0, I NEED HELP! I DON'T HAVE THE HARNESS! DUDE, WAKE UP!!!," or something along those lines), but I continued sitting there with my eyes half-open staring at the surf. After about 30 seconds, I realized what was going on, grabbed the harness, & ran to go get Nathan harnessed up & assist in landing the shark.

Although Nathan hooked the shark on an unlimited class rod paired with a 14/0, it still gave him a healthy battle for 12-15 minutes. Thankfully I didn't have to go too far into the water to grab the leader, & I was able to make fairly quick work of getting the tail rope on the fish. We then measured the fish at 83.5'', popped the hook out (strangely, the 18/0 circle was barely lodged right inside the front of the bottom jaw), threw a tag in him, & then grabbed some quick photos. Nathan proceeded to strip down, thinking that he was going to have to wade out with the feisty male to get him going, but he ended up taking off strong in only about a foot & a half of water. Mission complete!

By this time, the current had picked up immensely, & our small claw weights were no longer holding, so we made the decision to quit while we were ahead, bring the rods in, pack up, & head home to grab some (REAL) sleep.

Tally for the Night:

Me: About an hour of sleep & one missed run
Nathan: 83.5'' male sandbar (new personal record)

Tight lines everyone.
ThaFish

Re: 12-3 [Frigid Wintertime Fishing = SUCCESS!]

Postby MoganMan on December 5th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Nice write up bud! Wish we could of gotten you on a shark but there is always next time!
“I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.” –Joseph Monniger
MoganMan

Postby JustinEdge on December 8th, 2017, 12:01 am

Dittos on the good write up. Nice Sandbar. Don't worry, you'll get one next time. Now go get some sleep.
JustinEdge

Postby elwinsharp on December 16th, 2017, 4:45 pm

Great report. It sure is better to stop before your lines turned into one big tangle. I had to learn this the hard way. Thanks for the report.
elwinsharp

Postby GreatWhiteHunter on December 19th, 2017, 12:07 am

Awesome Report Ma n.
GreatWhiteHunter

Return to Shark Fishing Reports & Talk