11-15 [Wisconsinite's First Shark]

Reports from your shark fishing trip go here....

11-15 [Wisconsinite's First Shark]

Postby ThaFish on November 16th, 2017, 12:11 pm

The Report:

My good buddy Alex, who still lives in Wisconsin, made the trek down to Pensacola this past week. His goal was to catch his first shark, & to capture some great photos of it to show his friends & family when he returned to the frozen tundra. Being that I had a freezer full of sheepshead & redfish carcasses, I figured that we'd be able to make it happen. But we all know that freezer-burned carcasses never work nearly as well as fresh bait does, so we went out Tuesday afternoon with my buddy Doc to find some big sheeps for lunch (& also for bait, of course). Suffice to say, the lunch/bait run was a success.

Alex wanted to make a trip over to Panama City Beach to see my parents while he was in Florida, so we decided to hit an area a bit east of Pensacola Beach on Tuesday night for a couple hours, & then continue on to Panama City Beach & spend Wednesday afternoon & evening sharking over there.

Unfortunately we were met with some nasty, choppy surf & high winds ripping out of the north at our spot on Tuesday night, but Mitch & I sucked it up & ran three baits out anyways. We only spent a couple hours, most of which was filled with short, jerky runs on two of the three rods. When it came time to bring the baits in, it turned out that the two rods that kept getting those short runs both had finetooth sharks on them. Alex got to reel in a 47'' one, which he was super excited about. Little did he know what he would be hooked up with the following night...

After bringing the baits in, we headed a couple hours farther east to my parent's house, to get some rest for the night. We relaxed & hung out around the pool for most of Wednesday, & then finally made the arduous one block trip down to the beach around 3:30. This time, the surf was beautiful, & the winds had died down substantially. Mitch took one for the team & ran all four baits this time, all staggered between 125 yards & 250 yards with an assortment of sheepshead, redfish, & then a whole 14'' mullet on my little International 12T.

Almost three hours passed without so much as a click, & we were about ready to pack it in. We decided to give it another fifteen minutes. That turned out to be a fairly sound plan, as my International set off on a solid run with about ten minutes to go on the clock. I told Mitch to get Alex harnessed up while I ran over to grab the rod. I struggled to pull it out of the holder, as the rod was bowed up at a 90 degree angle & the fish was running HARD with that mullet. I let it run another 30 seconds or so after I picked it up before slowly edging the lever up to the strike position, & right away I knew the hook wasn't pulling on this one! Alex & Mitch ran over to me & we got Alex situated with the rod & harness. The next 25 minutes or so consisted of Alex fighting the best battle of his life, with me on levelwind duty the entire time (being from Wisconsin, he had never used a conventional reel before). She made three very hard, long runs throughout the battle, & dogged him like crazy once she was up over the first bar. Finally we got a good luck at the dorsal, & I ran to grab the tail rope. We made quick work of beaching, unhooking, & measuring her & then spent another minute or so grabbing some awesome photos before sending her back into the surf.

Alex had an absolutely awesome experience fighting that shark, & I am fairly certain he won't be forgetting his trip to Florida anytime in the near future!

Tally for the Night(s)

Me: 46'' finetooth
Alex: 47'' finetooth & an 82'' sandbar
Mitch: Nada

Tight lines everyone.
ThaFish

Re: 11-15 [Wisconsinite's First Shark]

Postby JustinEdge on November 16th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Awesome report! Always great to see somebody land that first ever shark, it's exhilarating. "Arduous one block trip" - literary gold, tickled my funny bone right there, that did.
Makes me wanna get back out there and put a few on the sand.
JustinEdge

Postby elwinsharp on November 19th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Great report guys. Way to make it happen in less than favorable conditions. Thanks for the report.
elwinsharp

Postby ThaFish on November 23rd, 2017, 1:29 pm

elwinsharp wrote:Great report guys. Way to make it happen in less than favorable conditions. Thanks for the report.

Glad you enjoyed the report man, thank you! Will definitely be hitting the sand again soon.
ThaFish

Postby ThaFish on November 23rd, 2017, 1:30 pm

JustinEdge wrote:Awesome report! Always great to see somebody land that first ever shark, it's exhilarating. "Arduous one block trip" - literary gold, tickled my funny bone right there, that did.
Makes me wanna get back out there and put a few on the sand.

Haha, glad my less-than-stellar humor made someone laugh! Happy you enjoyed the report bud, especially if it nudged you to get back out on the sand!
ThaFish

Postby KYHammer on November 25th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Great Report. Congrats on getting Alex his first Shark.
KYHammer

Return to Shark Fishing Reports & Talk