7-26 [SHARK WEEK - Curse of the Nurse]

Reports from your shark fishing trip go here....

7-26 [SHARK WEEK - Curse of the Nurse]

Postby ThaFish on July 28th, 2017, 1:15 pm

The Report:

I most definitely cannot say that we struck out on Wednesday night. Our outing was eventful to say the least. Chaotic is probably a better word.

After watching the radar for hours, Nathan, Mitch & I decided to hit the surf around midnight on Wednesday evening. We were met with rain along the way, but as soon as we started heading east down the beach, the rain stopped completely. Calm surf awaited us as we rigged up some monster chunks of fresh king mackerel. I ran two rods, Mitch ran one, & Nathan ran one. Nathan bombed a long bait about 450 yards out, Mitch dropped one about 150, & I staggered mine at 300 & 150.

After we had all finished the (not so) arduous task of running our baits, the beer drinking & shooting the shit ensued. This continued for an hour or so, until our amusement was interrupted by my 50 wide screaming. Naturally, the shark dropped the bait as soon as I got to the rod, so I sat back down. Fast forward five minutes. My rod is bowed up good this time, & line is pouring off of the reel so fast you'd think that the world's biggest birds nest is about to occur. Not wanting to screw things up, I decided to let the fish run for nearly a minute before edging the lever up to strike. 45 or so seconds pass by, I push the lever forward, & it's game on.

While he didn't make any crazy runs, he did dog me pretty good throughout the next fifteen or so minutes, especially once I got him past the first sandbar. Nathan & Mitch made pretty quick work of landing & dehooking him, at which point it was time for a measurement & a photoshoot! Armed with my Nikon, Mitch managed to snap some amazing photos before I released the 95'' nurse shark unharmed back into the Gulf.

Alright, only one hour of fishing on the books & we've already put a good shark on the beach. Successful night, right? Depending on your opinion of nurse sharks, the success tripled within the next hour & a half.

It hadn't been twenty minutes since the release of my shark before Nathan's 14/0 bowed up & started off on a nice, slow roll. He let the fish run for thirty seconds or so before turning the star forward, but it appeared as thought the shark had dropped the bait. Before we could sit back down, Mitch's 6/0 clicker began to scream. Unfortunately that fish dropped the bait as well.

Five more minutes pass, & Nathan's 14/0 gets picked up again. This time he connected with the shark. Due to his seriously long drop & all of the June grass that had accumulated on his line throughout the hour & a half prior to the hookup, it would be nearly 40 minutes before he was able to leader his fish.

Not two minutes after Nathan hooked up, Mitch's 6/0 took off again. Fortunately Mitch was able to connect with his fish too. DOUBLE HOOKUP! I spent the better part of the next hour running back & forth between Nathan & Mitch (who were about 40 yards apart from one another on the beach) checking to see who was going to need help landing their shark first. Thankfully our buddy Frank was there to assist Nathan with landing his, so I was able to concentrate on Mitch's shark once we got it close to shore.

After landing Mitch's shark, who was incredibly tangled up in the twenty foot leader, I grabbed the measuring tape & the camera & helped Mitch get a length on his fish, which turned out to be a new personal record for him at 92''. I shot some sweet photos, Mitch released the shark, & then we headed over to help Nathan, who was waiting in the surf with his catch.

We taped Nathan's fish at 95'', got some awesome photos, & then sent him on his way.

The summary? Nurse sharks are a hit or miss in terms of fighting power. Both mine & Nathan's did very little in the field of making runs, but both did dog us quite a bit. Mitch's fought entirely different. In addition to making several hard runs, it also refused to give up once he got him past the first bar. There were a half a dozen times where I had the leader in my hand & had to let go so he could scream off again. Regardless of how each fish fought, they sure provided us with an extremely exciting night, & one that we will never forget!

Tally for the Night:

Mitch: 92'' nurse (personal record)
Me: 95'' nurse (personal record)
Nathan: 95'' nurse (personal record)

Tight lines everyone.
Last edited by ThaFish on July 29th, 2017, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThaFish

Re: 7-26 [SHARK WEEK - Curse of the Nurse]

Postby JustinEdge on July 28th, 2017, 10:27 pm

Great report, man! I also like to nab the Nurses. (On the beach, too, not just at the hospital, lol). The pics didn't load, but the report was still great. Thanks for putting it up. I've also noticed that nurses can fight differently - about half the time they seem to be dead weight, then the other half of the time they can surprise you with a smack-down.
JustinEdge

Postby ThaFish on July 29th, 2017, 11:33 am

JustinEdge wrote:Great report, man! I also like to nab the Nurses. (On the beach, too, not just at the hospital, lol). The pics didn't load, but the report was still great. Thanks for putting it up. I've also noticed that nurses can fight differently - about half the time they seem to be dead weight, then the other half of the time they can surprise you with a smack-down.

Hey man, glad you enjoyed the report! I know it was quite the novel, so thanks for sticking it through to the end. Haha. I didn't realize that you have to pay for third party hosting on Photobucket now. I used a different hosting site & I think I got the images fixed! Let me know if you can see them alright now.
ThaFish

Postby elwinsharp on July 29th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Great Report and great pictures! I have yet to catch a nurse, but would like to add one to my list of species. That was a lot of action for such a short period of time. I love the Penn 6/0. It is the reel I started with and I still put it in the line up. Good Luck!
elwinsharp

Postby Poppi Piscator on July 29th, 2017, 6:51 pm

Great pics! I have not caught a nurse shark to date, but sounds like you guys were at the right spot that night. That's one for my bucket list. Good report.
Poppi Piscator
Poppi Piscator

Postby GetSharked on July 31st, 2017, 12:47 am

Not sure why but I can't see the pics, while others can.
GetSharked

Postby ThaFish on August 5th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Poppi Piscator wrote:Great pics! I have not caught a nurse shark to date, but sounds like you guys were at the right spot that night. That's one for my bucket list. Good report.

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed the report & the photos! We definitely got lucky on our spot choice that night. Hoping for some decent weather soon so that we can hit the surf again.
ThaFish

Return to Shark Fishing Reports & Talk