Going to OBX 8/21/2016 for a week.

Reports from your shark fishing trip go here....

Going to OBX 8/21/2016 for a week.

Postby The1ThatGotAway on July 30th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Hey all,

Ill be in Avon NC for a week I need to put fresh line on my PENN 6/0 any suggestions for lb mono line and top shot. I have sharked there once before and surf fished many times if any has any insider tips that would be great! If anyone else will be down there around that time it would be sweet to meet up share fish stories with a few cold ones.

when I get back Ill post here again hopefully with some greats shots of anything I catch.

Thanks Mark.
A bad day of fishing is better than the best day at work! (and I like my job)
The1ThatGotAway

Re: Going to OBX 8/21/2016 for a week.

Postby GreatWhiteHunter on July 31st, 2016, 2:02 pm

Good luck man.\
GreatWhiteHunter

Postby Blue Collar Bob on July 31st, 2016, 5:20 pm

Most places I've fished on the OBX don't require long drops. I used to use a Daiwa 600H. Which has similar capacity to your 6/0. Fill it up with 50lb mono and you should be good to go for most sharks at Avon.
When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman
-lyrics from John the Fisherman- Primus
Blue Collar Bob

Postby The1ThatGotAway on July 31st, 2016, 8:13 pm

Blue Collar Bob wrote:Most places I've fished on the OBX don't require long drops. I used to use a Daiwa 600H. Which has similar capacity to your 6/0. Fill it up with 50lb mono and you should be good to go for most sharks at Avon.

sweet thanks I was planing on filling it with 500 -600yrd braid and 150 yards mono ( or what every room is left 75- 100 yrd) 80lb and 80lb just to be sure I don't get spooled. I think that will all fit on the baby 6/0. last years setup was all 50 lb mono I'm just worried if a big boy runs I cant stop him before I run out. last year I got a 7' sand tiger that never took more than 300yrds or so. Im sure this will be overkill for anything > 5' but oh well I want to try to land the big one if I get the chance. I know really I need something on the size of a 9/0 or 12/0 for the 10' boys but i'm willing to try haha.

if this combo seems off please feel free to let me know.
The1ThatGotAway

Postby The1ThatGotAway on August 15th, 2016, 9:38 am

Just a little update be for I leave next week. I put fresh line on my Penn 6/0 80lb brain (about 450-500 yrds) with about 100 yrds mono I used this knot to connect them. "The GT KNOT"

using 2 test lines first I practiced the knot after getting it down I was able to start lifting 80lb of weight before the line broke at the weights not at the connection knot. For me that passes the test. I'm sure many of you know lots of good knots but I just wanted to share this one with you all.
The1ThatGotAway

Postby TheSmayWay on August 18th, 2016, 10:28 pm

I'll be down the same week and be doing all kinds of surf fishing but trying for sharks early morning and in the evening. I don't have a kayak but i'm thinking of renting one. I'll be using a heavy duty spinning setup and i'm wondering if they're in casting distance in the Corolla or is it tough without yakking baits? Good luck to you, can't wait to get on the water!
TheSmayWay

Postby jasonkraft on August 23rd, 2016, 7:25 am

The1ThatGotAway wrote:Just a little update be for I leave next week. I put fresh line on my Penn 6/0 80lb brain (about 450-500 yrds) with about 100 yrds mono I used this knot to connect them. "The GT KNOT"

using 2 test lines first I practiced the knot after getting it down I was able to start lifting 80lb of weight before the line broke at the weights not at the connection knot. For me that passes the test. I'm sure many of you know lots of good knots but I just wanted to share this one with you all.

I've never used this knot for Shark fishing but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had good luck on casted baits to connect a large diameter mono leader section to 80lb braid. I did just purchase the Loon UV knot sense and it works great (no more waiting for the glue to dry) and it seems more flexible than other glues I've used but hopefully it will be tested this weekend
jasonkraft

Postby The1ThatGotAway on February 26th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Very late update. I did not bring in any sharks on this outing. Some small blues on light tackle.

The knot did hold but fine as I had something large on one of the nights out. After about 5 minuets it broke off on something on the bottom Rock etc. You could see the wear on the line. But the knot held.

I met to update this forum on my trip. Life just has be crazy the last 2 years having kids and stuff. I'm going back to OBX this summer and hop to have a few nights I can get out and maybe meet up with my old friend the Shark again.
The1ThatGotAway

Return to Shark Fishing Reports & Talk