Many Nights and Days on the Beach 11ft Tiger, Lemon, Hammers

Reports from your shark fishing trip go here....

Re: Many Nights and Days on the Beach 11ft Tiger, Lemon, Ham

Postby Blue Collar Bob on August 13th, 2014, 5:53 pm

I've reviewed this report a few times and finally have time to comment. Wow! What a fantastic report.

SharkGirl, congrats on the sweet hammers. Beautiful tiger, too.

LaSharkhunter, sheesh man, that tiger is a beast. Just awesome. I'm surprised you haven't used your administrative power to remove the "pouting pic", lol.

Congratulations on your sister's tiger and big lemon, too.

Congrats to everyone on the tippers, bull and big drum.

Thanks for putting this report together. I really enjoyed all of the details and photos. Definitely appreciate all of the effort.
When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman
-lyrics from John the Fisherman- Primus
Blue Collar Bob

Postby GetSharked on August 13th, 2014, 7:31 pm

LaSharkHunter: I just wanted to ask you about your choice of rods. I noticed from the pictures and video in this report that you are using some really stiff heavy duty rods. I made this assumption by the lack of bend in them. Am I right or are you using lower drag settings?
I use lever drag reels and have never had the opportunity to use a Senator but in general they have lower drag capabilities than lever drag reels. Don't get me wrong, I am not against Senators at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I was just curious on why you guys are using really heavy rods with reels that don't have high drag ratings? I remember reading Matzy's mako report a while back (big Senator and heavy rod with no bend) and had the same question.
GetSharked

Postby JACKSTER on August 13th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Many days is what it takes to bring in some awesome fish. It may seem like a long time between them but you guys got some great fish. My first hammer was just like yours. Droppen in a half dead stingray and was hooked up within 10 minutes. Your suntans became progressively better as well!
JACKSTER

Postby LaSharkHunter on August 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

fifis101 wrote:LaSharkHunter: I just wanted to ask you about your choice of rods. I noticed from the pictures and video in this report that you are using some really stiff heavy duty rods. I made this assumption by the lack of bend in them. Am I right or are you using lower drag settings?
I use lever drag reels and have never had the opportunity to use a Senator but in general they have lower drag capabilities than lever drag reels. Don't get me wrong, I am not against Senators at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I was just curious on why you guys are using really heavy rods with reels that don't have high drag ratings? I remember reading Matzy's mako report a while back (big Senator and heavy rod with no bend) and had the same question.

Fifis101.... I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but will try to give an answer any way. I admit to being on the old school side of things and enjoy fishing with the senators coupled with straight mono and heavy duty rods. All our rods have strong "backbone" with softer tips except my 14/0 rod which is stiff all through the rod. We have used softer rods and always went back to these. I will not use graphite rods with a parabolic bend....cant stand that...graphite has been known to explode and its harder to move a fish with a soft rod. All of our rods are solid fiberglass. All this is just a personal choice there are many different types of outfits out there for each angler to find what they like.

Also our rods are all relatively short. My 14/0 rod is just over 6ft and the rest are 5ft 10in to 5ft 4in. Maybe that is giving you the illusion of not bending....I dont know.

Now our rods do bend on the quality fish to a point and our reels put out substantial amount of pressure coupled with heavy mono and the harness system it is very very rare for us to have a fight lasting more than 30mins.

I dont know if that answered your question or not. Feel free to pm me or start a thread in the tackle section. Im sure a lot of guys have some things they would like to discuss about it.
LaSharkHunter
Site Admin

Postby LaSharkHunter on August 13th, 2014, 9:14 pm

Blue Collar Bob wrote:I've reviewed this report a few times and finally have time to comment. Wow! What a fantastic report.

LaSharkhunter, sheesh man, that tiger is a beast. Just awesome. I'm surprised you haven't used your administrative power to remove the "pouting pic", lol

Thanks BCB and I was over ruled by wife powers :lol: :lol:
LaSharkHunter
Site Admin

Postby Seaborn on August 14th, 2014, 11:16 am

Amazing report! I know it says you didn't catch as many sharks as you'd like but I think the quality of the fish definitely makes up for the number. Glad the crazy amount of time you guys spent on the sand led to some great fish :D
Seaborn

Postby Matzy on August 22nd, 2014, 7:21 am

Too many feel food moments in this report to talk about them individually. Just awesome! Congratulations all the way around on many great catches. Troy, I am so happy to see you get your biggest Tiger! Everyone that knows you, knows how well deserved it truly is! Diana, so happy to see the hammers coming your way! I know you had been fascinated with them and now you have a couple of your own! Greg and Doc, always great to see the two of you sharing the sand with the sharking family!

Matt
Matzy

Postby Pyramid on August 26th, 2014, 11:32 am

DANG! This has got to be one of the best reports I have read in a LONG LONG time... Congrats!
Pyramid

Previous

Return to Shark Fishing Reports & Talk