9'1" Texas Bull Shark

Reports from your shark fishing trip go here....

9'1" Texas Bull Shark

Postby JoeSpool on October 15th, 2013, 1:14 am

While in pursuit of a shark over 12 ft there are many other fish that should be checked off of the list and added to the fishing resume. A big bull shark was one of those fish still on my list and I spent the majority of my time on the sand this year fishing for one. The migration is no big secret and I basically knew within a couple degrees what water I was looking for. The temperatures seemed to just hover around that mark and I fished the windows hard. We caught a bunch of sandbars and bulls from 7-7.5 ft but couldn’t get a hook in the big pregnant bulls. I am confident they were there, they had to be, but I believe they were more focused on dropping there pups and the baits were being picked up one after another by the more aggressively feeding sharks. The window finally ended and the first opportunity of the year had passed.

The next chance I had at catching a big bull was targeting them after they had pupped. We hit the beach with a different strategy and went through a handful of medium sized sharks as usual, but remained confident that this was going to be the trip. Shortly after paddling a late night bait into the fog, my 80w began to roll, the rod loaded, and I could feel that it was a good fish. Surprisingly she wasn’t able to take much line and the only time she gave me any trouble was when I had to get her over the final bar. The fish was too heavy to leader so I had to go into waste deep water to secure the rope. I couldn’t believe how massive the fish was. The first thought that went through my head was “where are the stripes?!!” I had finally caught a truly monstrous bull shark. She taped out at a little over 9'1". It feels good to check another one off of the list.

JoeSpool

Re: 9'1" Texas Bull Shark

Postby Apex Anglers on October 15th, 2013, 1:34 am

Awesome bull! Man I can't wait to fight one of those.
Apex Anglers

Postby Texsurfsharker on October 15th, 2013, 7:25 am

Great fish man. Way to go.
Texsurfsharker

Postby BullsharkCM on October 15th, 2013, 7:33 am

Awesome fish joe!
BullsharkCM

Postby maninthegraysuit on October 15th, 2013, 7:33 am

Great job on a monster bull!!
maninthegraysuit

Postby Matzy on October 15th, 2013, 7:56 am

That thing is an absolute beast! In person, that shark has got to look scary big. Unbelievable, buddy!

A huge congratulations on catching one of a handful of sharks that really make a mark!

Matt
Matzy

Postby waltmeda on October 15th, 2013, 8:50 am

WOW
Just Bitten Shark Fishing Team - Pro Staff for Razor Fin Apparel
waltmeda

Postby Tunastick on October 15th, 2013, 9:16 am

congrats on a giant bull shark!
Tunastick

Postby HuntinForTail on October 15th, 2013, 9:39 am

Man you've had some unbelievable catches. Congrats on another one. That is a beautiful bull
HuntinForTail

Postby Hemi Fisher on October 15th, 2013, 9:55 am

Well done Joe. I don't care what state you are fishing in, a 9' Bull is massive. Were you setup close to a bay/mouth of a river? I always knew the bigger bulls came in around April/May, but had no idea they would be in close around this time as well. Congrats on another awesome catch.
Hemi Fisher

Next

Return to Shark Fishing Reports & Talk