Report: 10'5'' MAKO, 2 Tigers and Sandbars

Reports from your shark fishing trip go here....

Re: Report: 10'5'' MAKO, 2 Tigers and Sandbars

Postby theroguepirate on December 27th, 2012, 10:10 am

That is freaking epic! Legen.....wait for it.......diary! Way to go everyone!
Trample The Weak, Hurdle the Dead!
theroguepirate

Postby piroguejoe on December 27th, 2012, 11:33 am

Awesome catch! Congrats !!!!
piroguejoe

Postby FishySharky on December 27th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Amazing report guys! Matzy, congratulations on a catch that most of us can only dream about. You all really made it happen this trip. WOW!!
FishySharky

Postby EastTennSharker on December 27th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Guys, what else can be said about this report. Matt, I always new you would do it and you did it in style. Troy, when I got that call, I was telling strangers on the street what you guys had accomplished. Needless to say, most looked at me like I was crazy, but I was excited just being able to talk about it. ;)

Matt, a huge CONGRATULATIONS to you on such a beautiful fish. :shock: :shock:

Troy, I know that you played a very important role in the level of excitement you generate during the fight, in the support you provide to anyone lucky enough to fish with you, and in the landing of such a great fish. I am sure that Matt is greatful to have been fishing with you when that monster ate his lunch. :D :D

Troy and Matzy, what an amazing accomplishment. You guys really are that good. ;) ;)
Greg Sowder
EastTennSharker
EastTennSharker

Postby Mike Rose on December 27th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Congrats on the mako and superb write up, dinner got cold cause I couldnt stop reading it! :shock: Just seeing that mako is enough to make anybody want one BAD!
I don't fish for a living, I live for fishing.
Mike Rose

Postby Blue Collar Bob on December 27th, 2012, 8:04 pm

Great write-up. Great photos. Great job landing these fish. Congratulations on your teamwork and the success it brought.

A couple of questions spurred from previous posts concerning makos:
1. I recall sharkgirl losing a mako when the leader failed(kink maybe?). Was this leader made the same way, or have your leaders evolved? (Assuming this was one of Troy's leaders)
2. Comments in previous discussion indicated that bonito is prime mako bait. Can you share the bait that tempted this mako?
3. Did you entertain the possibility of connecting with a mako when you planned this trip, or were you sorta blindsided?

Thanks for sharing this epic trip with SOS. The presentation was perfect. I've been sharing this report with friends and co-workers. I even linked to it on FB. Everyone loves it and really appreciate the release. Bravo!

PS- I know this site doesn't "sticky" too many posts, but in my opinion this one certainly deserves it.
When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman
-lyrics from John the Fisherman- Primus
Blue Collar Bob

Postby Matzy on December 27th, 2012, 9:24 pm

Blue Collar Bob wrote:Great write-up. Great photos. Great job landing these fish. Congratulations on your teamwork and the success it brought.

A couple of questions spurred from previous posts concerning makos:
1. I recall sharkgirl losing a mako when the leader failed(kink maybe?). Was this leader made the same way, or have your leaders evolved? (Assuming this was one of Troy's leaders)
2. Comments in previous discussion indicated that bonito is prime mako bait. Can you share the bait that tempted this mako?
3. Did you entertain the possibility of connecting with a mako when you planned this trip, or were you sorta blindsided?

Thanks for sharing this epic trip with SOS. The presentation was perfect. I've been sharing this report with friends and co-workers. I even linked to it on FB. Everyone loves it and really appreciate the release. Bravo!

PS- I know this site doesn't "sticky" too many posts, but in my opinion this one certainly deserves it.

Although I wasn't there, I can tell you that the previous failure was not due to wire failure. The rig that caught the mako was a standard leader with #19 wire and a 20/0 circle hook.

I came down there with the ultimate goal of catching a mako despite the fact I knew the odds were slim. Let's put it this way, even though a mako was the goal, you never go and set the hook and expect a mako to back flip out of the water when you are shark fishing from the beach.

As for the bait, somehow I don't remember what was on that hook ;) .

Matt
Matzy

Postby Zico on December 27th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Wow!!! Those Mako pics are unreal. That catch really did take this whole site to a new level. Is that the first posted report of a Mako from the sand on this site?
I've got to read that again.
Zico

Postby LaSharkHunter on December 27th, 2012, 9:55 pm

WOW -- I just read each and every reply -- I would like to THANK each of you for the wonderful compliments that have been given. The response to this report has been amazing :shock: :D :shock: :D

team shark fever wrote:Guys you have hit the Apex in the sport and this Mako in addition to the other extraordinary catches made this year have me convinced that IN OUR SPORT 2012 HAS BEEN THE VERY BEST YEAR FOR BIG SHARKS.

CONGRATULATIONS MATZY AND CONGRATULATIONS TO TROY ON THIS CATCH AND ON THE EVOLUTION OF THE S.O.S SITE
--- Will, Thank You. I completely agree that 2012 has been a great great year. The sport continues to grow. With the information and the "how to'" that is shared on both SOS and SFSC I expect that 2013 might even be better...I HOPE IT IS :D :D

Is that the first posted report of a Mako from the sand on this site?
Zico -- Yes it is the first one for this site. Since I've been involved with the internet I'm only aware of a handful of landbased Makos caught.

BCB -- The leader Sharkgirl lost the mako on was a small cable leader placed out to catch a blacktip....major mistake made. As Matzy stated we now only use #19 wire these days with the 20/0 circle getting the call 90 percent of the time.

I know this site doesn't "sticky" too many posts, but in my opinion this one certainly deserves it.
Thank You ..maybe we will sticky this one in a couple days.

Would also like to thank our two sponsors...

Apex Rods -- the first custom rod I ever bought was was built by Jason (NCSharker). I have caught many big sharks on it and now it has a mako to! That rod has super good mojo...Thanks Jason!!

SharkOutlet -- has made my fishing year possible. We go through a ton of terminal tackle and line. Big Thank You out to John!!
LaSharkHunter
Site Admin

Postby Realtor on December 27th, 2012, 10:13 pm

OUTSTANDING, I am EXHAUSTED from reading the report. That is a Shark of a life time. Congratulations, Fine, Fine shark and report. Love to see them swim away strong and ready for the next fight.
Realtor

PreviousNext

Return to Shark Fishing Reports & Talk