Finally..Hammer Time..with 3 bucketlist sharks

Reports from your shark fishing trip go here....

Finally..Hammer Time..with 3 bucketlist sharks

Postby SpinN4Shark on March 11th, 2019, 11:55 pm

This is a very late post that should have been done last summer. I regret seeing the forum slowing down as being an Arkansas boy, without it, I would never have caught my first shark.
So late summer me and the brother (Hal) are prepping for our annual spark runs when his son decides he wants to try it. We are both so excited that we agreed this trip would be all about Barrett.
The first afternoon out while I am still kayaking out the baits, one of the 12/0s takes off on a strong run. One hour into the trip and Barrett is hooked up to his first shark and the biggest shark on the trip. Do to the wind I am getting blown in the kayak right through the fight. I t was a little nerve racking when I see this 8+ lemon on top exploding the surface, as I paddle past him.
Fortunately I made it back in time to get to wade out and leader the shark.
Opening night and mission accomplished. Barrett has landed a nice 8'7" lemon.

Barrett then proceeds to land Blacktips and Atlantic sharp noses totaling 8 Sharks as the week progresses.
My original ambition for this trip was to get a Hal a bucket list Bull at least 6'6". So with Barrett completely satisfied having achieved a bucket list Lemon and Blacktip, it was now time to focus on Hal's Bull. On the 3rd night my lucky little 9/0 bends over and starts a strong pull straight out. As soon as I touched the rod I knew this was his Bull. We got Hal harnessed up and he lands his buckelist 6'11" Bull.
So with Barrett and Hal totally thrilled with the trip, they both both start pushing me to take the next run. The only shark I thought I had a chance of catching that I was interested in was a really big lemon as I never got a good picture of my big 9+ lemon. So I said we will wait and see because I would love to get Barrett a big Bull and a 3rd bucketlist on this trip.
So on the 4th night my favorite little reel the ST-50 takes off on a screaming run. I offered the rod to everyone but I REALLY wanted to grab that pole. They both insisted that this was MY shark. So I harnessed up and let him have it. He began to make runs 100 yds to the right, turn around and run 100 yards to the left, back and forth. Because of the back and forth running and the fact that I knew I would never get m bucket list hammer, I just knew it was a big lemon.
When I finally got him in the wade gut I saw the dorsal fin at the same time my brother saw the head and we both screamed "Hammer"!! It was a dream come true for me. Bucket list all complete except for the tiger.
7'0" Hammer
The trip had been a total success and a dream making week. We still had one night left so Me and Hal agreed to give Barrett the night to try and get him a big Bull. Nothing was biting so just before midnight we start pulling in the rods one at a time to give him every chance. Just after midnight with 3 rods left out, my lucky little 9/0 bows over and starts a screaming run. We get Barrett harnessed up and watch the fight. With about 100 yards of line left I told him to lock the reel down. Burst after burst, the shark strips off 10 yards. Stops. Burst off another 10 yards. Stops. I tell Barrett to press both thumbs into the spool and lean back for all he is worth to try and turn this beast. The shark continues to power off line 10 yards at a time until there are only a few yards of line remaining. Barrett leans back and pulls hard and the hook pulls. All we could say is now you have had a perfect trip. You are not truly a shark man until a beast just rips everything away and leaves you in AWE!
It was a perfect end to a perfect trip.
We rescheduled for October. 2 days before we left, Michael arrived.
Can' t wait for the upcoming season.
SpinN4Shark

Re: Finally..Hammer Time..with 3 bucketlist sharks

Postby elwinsharp on March 16th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Great report and an even better trip. I bet Barrett will be there with you on future trips. Beautiful hammer. My fall trip was blown out by Michael also. Looking forward to a trip this summer and another in the fall.
Thanks for the report. More people are keeping an eye on this site than you may think.
elwinsharp

Return to Shark Fishing Reports & Talk