South Floirda Casted Gear Report

Reports from your shark fishing trip go here....

Re: South Floirda Casted Gear Report

Postby zcoker on July 2nd, 2017, 9:47 am

elwinsharp wrote:Just trying to catch up on all the great reports.
This trip looked like as good as it gets on casted gear. No stop action and a Hammer to boot! My biggest hammer was 9' on a Penn 12/0 and it is still to date the best fight I have had or seen. Great job on landing it!. Very much enjoyed your report.

I guess you can relate, being that you've caught them on your 12/0, what one that size would feel like on a spinning rod.

Sometimes, though, you can't win them all. We did a trip not too long ago, 7 stand-up rods with fresh rays put out, one bait put out on the spinning rod. All the rods were put out about 8pm. This first picture is the hook-up....wouldn't you know it, of all the rods, the spinning rod is the first to sing!

Here's the hook-up, flat out on the sand LoL.

All the other rods were pulled in, which is the standard protocol when big fish on. So the fight was on...and on and on....until the sun came up!

Yes, all night long, over 11 hours of being spooled, gaining back, being spooled, gaining back....a true monster! No other bait could be dropped that night and my buddies had to sit it out, all in anticipation which never came. Finally had to cut her off. No way I could hold it any longer. My hands had huge blisters.

Whether the fish wins or the man wins, one of the most grueling battles that I've ever had.
zcoker

Postby elwinsharp on July 2nd, 2017, 3:56 pm

zcoker wrote:
This trip looked like as good as it gets on casted gear. No stop action and a Hammer to boot! My biggest hammer was 9' on a Penn 12/0 and it is still to date the best fight I have had or seen. Great job on landing it!. Very much enjoyed your report.

I guess you can relate, being that you've caught them on your 12/0, what one that size would feel like on a spinning rod.

Sometimes, though, you can't win them all. We did a trip not too long ago, 7 stand-up rods with fresh rays put out, one bait put out on the spinning rod. All the rods were put out about 8pm. This first picture is the hook-up....wouldn't you know it, of all the rods, the spinning rod is the first to sing!

All the other rods were pulled in, which is the standard protocol when big fish on. So the fight was on...and on and on....until the sun came up!

Yes, all night long, over 11 hours of being spooled, gaining back, being spooled, gaining back....a true monster! No other bait could be dropped that night and my buddies had to sit it out, all in anticipation which never came. Finally had to cut her off. No way I could hold it any longer. My hands had huge blisters.

Whether the fish wins or the man wins, one of the most grueling battles that I've ever had.

That would be an amazing fight alright. The longest I have had one on the long rod is an hour and ten minutes. Then the hook pulled and I was happy! I could not even start to imagine an 11 hour fight.
The one we hooked up on this trip just absolutely ran off with it. Did not even begin to slow down even after pulling 300 plus yards at probably 35lbs drag. Would like to have at least got a look at it.
elwinsharp

Postby zcoker on July 3rd, 2017, 6:00 pm

elwinsharp wrote:
zcoker wrote:

That would be an amazing fight alright. The longest I have had one on the long rod is an hour and ten minutes. Then the hook pulled and I was happy! I could not even start to imagine an 11 hour fight.
The one we hooked up on this trip just absolutely ran off with it. Did not even begin to slow down even after pulling 300 plus yards at probably 35lbs drag. Would like to have at least got a look at it.

I fish a lot solo (mainly at night) and sometimes run into that "happy" feeling that you described because I have no idea in the world how I would've even begin to land King Kong alone. It's a daunting feeling when you lock up and feel the colossal power of a giant fish -- alone! Man, it's hard enough on the smaller ones. "Relief" might be a better word. LoL. All aside, that unknown feeling of that monster that you hooked and lost always lurks, keeps us going, high energy adrenaline rush...fun stuff!
zcoker

Postby Outta Bait on March 4th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Just read your post . Sounds like you had a blast . I recently moved from the panhandle to close to Gainesville and I'm having withdrawels from sharking . Can you suggest one of your more northern beaches , where I might stand a chance of getting a hookup or two . I have all sorts of tackle Many thanks , Larry
Outta Bait

Postby Scout on June 6th, 2018, 6:33 am

Awesome job and pics!
SharksOnTheSand.com
Scout
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Shark Fishing Reports & Talk